Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"Can My Lipstick Give Me Cancer?"


Hello everyone!

Okay so from reading the title I'm sure you're a little confused, but once I start explaining you'll get the jist of it. So I was getting ready yesterday for school when my mom came into my room and gave me some pretty crazy news... Apparently there are a lot of lipsticks out there that contain lead, pretty much most of them do. Now you might be thinking "so what?" right? Well lead is a chemical that causes cancer, affect your Nervous System, it can damage your brain and kidneys, and can ultimately cause death, so therefore if it's in your lipstick that's probably not a good sign. 
Lead is used on lipsticks so the lipstick will stay longer, so watch out for those lipsticks that are supposed to last for a longer period of time!


Now before we all go crazy and stop using lipsticks I must tell you that I did my research on this before writing about it, and from what I read, this is an issue thats has been going on for a while. Apparently the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics tested 33 popular brand lipsticks for lead content, and 61% had lead ranging on different levels. They used your normal every day brands, along with high end brands and most of them contained it. Later on the FDA (Food And Drug Association) tested the lipsticks and all of the 20 lipsticks they tested had at least some lead in them. They said that the level of lead in them was expected and harmless.


So are we safe or should we be worried? Well in my opinion you can never be too safe, and by this is mean that you should from now on take second look at the lipsticks you buy. Check their ingredients and if they have a lot of lead or if it's one of the main ingredients I would probably recommend looking for a better alternative. Now if they normal or small amounts of lead in them they're probably not very harmful or might not be at all, as long as you don't like....eat it...(lol) so you can continue to use it, I mean I'll probably keep using mine. If I've scared you silly and now you never wanna use lipsticks again I first must apologize, but I also have good news for you! You can also buy lead-free lipsticks such as these (click here to look at the lead-free lipsticks). As for the lipsticks you already own, there is a way to test them. 
All you do is:
  • Apply some lipstick on your hand.
  • Use a 24k-14k Gold ring to scratch on the lipstick.
  • If the lipstick color changes to black, then you know the lipstick contains some lead.
I just wanted to share with you guys this interesting information I stumbled upon today. I hope you enjoyed this post and I hope it didn't scare you too much!
Just be careful next time you buy a lipstick ladies!

Thank you for reading, and come back for more :)

Andrea R.


2 comments:

  1. This is a very informative post. I've heard about this as well and I must admit that it makes me a little uneasy but then when I see all the beautiful colors and how they make my lips look, well, I force myself to forget about any dangers and tell myself that none of us are going to live forever (dramatic, I know). But mostly, I am cautious... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very informative!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc // youtube

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win the UD naked basics palette, real techniques brushes and essie polishes! click here.

    ReplyDelete

Comment Here And Leave Your Blog Address...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...